Saturday, January 30, 2010

Best Gourmet Cafe


Yes you read that right, the 818 has its very own take out/eat in gourmet cafe. (Take that Joan's on 3rd!)

I must admit, after checking out the menu online (i.e. drooling all over my keyboard) this foodie had some very high expectations for Sweetsalt Food Shop in Toulca Lake.

Upon arrival, I was instantly greeted by owners and adorable husband and wife team Alex Eusebio & Sara Mann and before I knew it- I was sipping on daily soup samples. (Roasted Fennel with Truffle & Wild Mushroom)

As I approached the counter to order my lunch, my palms began to sweat...what do I order? So many delicious options to choose from...

Do I go with the Roasted Vegetable Salad with Goat Cheese & Pulled Herbs, the Sweetsalt BLT made with roasted pears & chevre, the Grilled Cheese Panini with cheddar, gruyere & manchego (what??!!?) or the Short Rib Roll complete with onion confit, goat cheese, roasted garlic & arugula on a brioche bun??? Clearly they weren't kidding around with the whole gourmet thing.
I decided on the Organic Grain Salad (quinoa, couscous, haricot vert, roasted fennel & parsley) although my inner fat girl just wanted the Charcuterie Plate (3 cheeses, choice of protein, fig paste, and baguette) & Chocolate Carmel Bread Pudding.
My flavorful salad did not disappoint and I'm sure it was just as satisfying as the Croque Monsieur. (ok maybe not- but it was super delicious!)

All of the dishes are reasonably priced and the portions are just right. I would suggest checking this place out before a line out the door starts to form!!

SweetSalt Food Shop
10218 1/2 Riverside Drive
Toluca Lake, CA 91602
(818) 509-7790
www.sweetsaltfood.com
*Closed on Sundays*

4 comments:

  1. Been there done that. My new favorite place in the 818. The food, vibe and service were perfect. Next week it's going to rain, so get that soup started, 'cuz we're all coming in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I've been dying to check out Sara's new place...so glad to hear you love it. Maybe I'll go this afternoon, thanks for reminding me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was great to meet you today at the Salon :) I wanted to send you my blog and some of my friend's blogs that are similiar to yours but in the West LA area... Gotta say YO to the 310 ;)
    And hey, let me know how you like Lori! cozycozen@gmail.com
    Here are the websites (I wish all of us would just get together and create a superpowered one! I love networking!):
    http://heathercozen.blogspot.com/
    http://blog.accidentalyogist.com/ (For yoga)
    http://www.treeparty.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect! We needed this in the TL. They both are perfect restaurant owners and the food is as charming as they are.
    j.

    ReplyDelete